Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Could this be muscle atrophy or ALS?
07-04-2012, 01:06 PM
Could this be muscle atrophy or ALS?
Around three months ago I suffered from an extreme bout of anxiety due to fear over my health. An optometrist pointed out an enlarged pupil. As a result, I went through many tests to make sure it was benign including CT scan, and doctors visits. Fortunately, it was found to be benign, but even after the good news my anxiety continued and I continued to worry about my health. The big reason for this was constant muscle twitches I have been feeling ever since, so for about 3 months now. I am on 20mg of lexapro and see a therapist but this only really helps to keep me from feeling panicky. My question is if I should be concerned the twitching is ALS. I saw a neurologist at the CCF a few days ago and he did a thorough physical exam but never game me an EMG because I felt it was unnecessary. Is it common for a neurologist to be that confident to not even want to order tests? I am 26 years old and I do not feel any weakness in my muscles as I frequently lift wights. I am concerned again because the twitching has not subsided and since reading about ALS notice some pain in my left calf muscle that comes and goes. I do not know how to check to see if I have muscle atrophy.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-04-2012, 01:10 PM
RE: Could this be muscle atrophy or ALS?
Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis or ALS is extremely unusual in your age. There is a condition referred to as benign fasciculation syndrome, which is not uncommon. It involves the presence of fasciculations which can come and go over time. Some neurologists should be experienced in such cases, and please consult them to see if you need an EMG. It is possible that your anxiety is contributing to your condition. Lexapro might make you feel like that. I would recommend you discuss this with a psychiatrist who can perhaps change your medication. With adequate treatment of your anxiety, these symptoms may disappear soon.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply