Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Do I need to be re tested for MS?
07-04-2012, 01:20 PM
Do I need to be re tested for MS?
I am an old female, aged 52, who has been sick for three years now. Prior to be ill I was trainning for a marathon and exercised everyday.

October 2001 I came down with swollen glands and crushing fatigue which lasted for about 4 weeks. Then in December 2003 it came back, this time with crushing fatigue that lasted for 6 weeks. The fatigue was so bad I could not move off the couch and barely ate. After six weeks it went away and I was able to get back to my running and execise. For the next year i did a lot of running but did notice I was tired at night.
August of 2004 it hit me again. This time much worse which pin ***** sensations in my feet, legs and hands. I also started having muscle twitches constantly all over my body. My legs felt heavy.
I went to clinic and had the following tests done by a Neuroligist. MRI of brain and spine (neck)with contrast, Evocked response, EMG and Lumbar Puncture. All tests came back completely clear of anything and no evidence of MS.

I have had two other MRI, and an MRA which have showed nothing.
It is now Sept. 2006 and i still have severe fatigue, very weak legs...yet no loss of actual strength. My muscles twitch randomly all the time especially at night. I also have jerking in my legs and arms. Patches of Numbness which travels all over my body. I can not tolerate any exercise.

My questions are:

Do you think I need to be re tested for MS ( another LP)?Were my tests done to early?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-04-2012, 01:23 PM
RE: Do I need to be re tested for MS?
The symptoms you describe are concerning for lyme disease.

Training for a marathon is also an easy way to get a tick bite. Lyme can present exactly as you mentioned and causes a vasocontrictive disease in the brain that results in transient dysfunction, with/or without MRI lesions.

First I would recommend a trial on antibiotics (ceftriaxone, doxyclycline etc) and testing for lyme antibodies (IgG and IgM) and Lyme PCR from the cerebro-spinal fluid. I would also recommend a SPECT scan of the brain to evaluate for the vasocontrictive disease. I would find a Lyme litterate neurologist and pursure the possible diagnosis of lyme (which can be tricky and frusterating). As far as MS is concerned you seem to have had a fairly comprehensive workup and I would not suggest further tests unless new symptoms develop. Another possiblity is a post viral syndrome/ post encephalitis syndrome. For this I would recommend an EEG (electro-encephalogram- or "brain-wave test") and viral titers (by PCR) of EBV, CMV, arbovirus, west nile, etc of the cerebro-spinal fluid.

Hope this can be helpful.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply