Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
I experienced double vision for about a month
07-08-2012, 01:54 PM
I experienced double vision for about a month
I experienced double vision for about a month. All tests were negative except for a borderline positive SF EMG test and CT chest which showed 3cm x 3cm thymus. I was on mestinon x 3 times a day. Double vision cleared up for a number of months and now have a relapse. My right eye is barely moving, and always looking upwards. Redid the SF EMG and and this time it was negative. What should be the next step? Have been covering one eye for several weeks to get through the day. My doctor does not want to put me on prednisone as there is no clear diagnosis.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-08-2012, 02:06 PM
RE: I experienced double vision for about a month
Myasthenia gravis features muscle weakness that increases on activity and improves after rest. The first symptom is most often the weakness of eye muscle. Diagnosis can be made by physical examination, blood test to identify antibodies against acetylcholine receptors, neurophysiological test like measuring fatiguability after repeated stimulation of a muscle, and rarely an edrophonium test is performed, the test requires IV administeration of edrophonium chloride temporarily relieves muscle weakness in patients with myasthenia.

You can discuss all these with your treating doctor. Treatment is usually pyridostigmine and neurostigmine to overcome muscle weakness, prednisone for immunosupression and thymectomy in rare cases.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply