Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Is this amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS)?
07-04-2012, 12:53 PM
Is this amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS)?
I am a 61 year old woman. Since the end of October, I have had strange heaviness, weakness and sensations in my legs (specifically my thighs) and somewhat in arms. Initially it was mostly my left leg and arm but it now seems to be equal on both sides of my body. My knees also are weak. I cannot stand for long and have difficulty bending over at my knees. Some days my symptoms seem worse than other days but they never go away. I have had blood tests, a C-Scan and an MRI of my brain, neck and spine. The MRI showed some degeneration but was considered basically normal for my age. I also have a small cyst on my brain but was told I have probably had it all my life. Is this ALS?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-04-2012, 12:59 PM
RE: Is this amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS)?
The symptoms you have described could be consistent with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), but also can be seen in other muscle diseases, and inflammatory conditions such as lupus, or polymyalgia rheumatica. If possible please go to see your neurologist. Also tests for inflammation such as an ESR, or CRP should be checked. Smiles!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply