Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
MS Treatment by Western medicine
03-30-2011, 12:07 PM
MS Treatment by Western medicine
1. Corticosteroids

For those with progressive MS, treatment is aimed mainly at relieving symptoms. Oral or intravenous corticosteroids are most often prescribed to reduce inflammation in nerve tissue and shorten the duration of flare-ups. Prolonged use of these medications, however, may be associated with side effects such as osteoporosis and hypertension.

2. Beta interferons

A class of drugs known as beta interferons have gained the most attention for curbing MS. In 1993, the FDA approved interferon beta-1b (Betaseron). In 1996, a slightly different version of beta interferon, interferon beta-1a (Avonex) was approved.

Interferons are genetically engineered copies of proteins that occur naturally in the body which help fight viral infection and assist in the regulation of the immune system. Betaseron must be injected every other day.

Avonex is administered once a week by intramuscular injection. Betaseron and Avonex each have been shown in clinical trials to reduce flares of MS by up to 30 percent. Their exact therapeutic mechanism and long-term benefit aren't fully understood.

3. Glatiramer acetate (Copaxone)

The FDA recently approved an alternative to beta interferons for those with relapsing-remitting MS. Glatiramer acetate (Copaxone), formerly known as copolymer-1, has been shown to be as effective as beta interferons in curbing MS attacks. It's believed that Copaxone works by blocking the autoimmune attack on myelin.

4. Tizanidine hydrochloride (Zanaflex)

Another advance in the fight against MS is tizanidine hydrochloride (Zanaflex), a new oral treatment for muscle spasticity. Many people with MS experience muscle stiffening or spasms, particularly in the legs, which can be painful and uncontrollable. Unlike baclofen (Lioresal), which has been the drug of choice, Zanaflex appears to control muscle spasms without leaving the legs feeling weak.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-08-2011, 04:17 PM
RE: MS Treatment by Western medicine
verynice
01-25-2012, 02:17 AM
I think it's great that there are a these medicines on the market that can reduce and relieve some of the symptoms of MS. Still, I hope that they can one day they can find a way to reverse or stop the progression of MS. I do think there has been some interesting developments in the research of MS lately and hopefully something will come of that.
03-19-2012, 12:21 PM
Superb!thank you for your article,This post has been somewhat of a revelation to me.

Dr Dre Beats Pro
Beats By Dr Dre Kobe Bryant
Mac Lipstick Swatches